Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm moving to Boston!

Holy crap, it's been a while since my last post. Let's see if I can remember everything that I did. I arrived in NY late on the night of August 14, so I didn't do anything that day. The following day, my brother and I drove to Welch Lake to get an open water swim in. We estimated that I swam about 1800m. It was really difficult to get into a rhythm with my breathing, and I definitely didn't feel ready for the competition.

On Saturday, Dan and I walked A LOT while exploring the city of Boston (aka my new home!!). I also didn't train at all on Sunday because my Boston friend Nicole and I went on some more exploring adventures. As luck would have it, I was staying with Nicole who lives in a BEAUTIFUL place that has a pool! So on Monday morning, I swam about 32 lengths and it took about 23 minutes. It was a heated pool, so I felt as though I was overheating, and got out before I passed out. On Tuesday, I checked out the fitness center in Nicole's building and ran 3.2 miles on the treadmill. I also ended up walking a lot while apartment hunting. I got a glimpse of what it would be like to live in Boston without a car. It wasn't bad, it just took a lot of time and human energy to get to places. I actually enjoyed it, so I've decided to keep my car when I move to Boston, but only use it when I really need it.

On Wednesday, I woke up early and met my Harvard friend Jeremy on a run along the Charles River. I only ran about 40 minutes because it was VERY VERY hot and humid that day.

Yesterday, I had intended on going for a bike ride and a run after but the whether couldn't make up it's mind. Rather than risk getting caught in a thunderstorm again, I decided to save my bike ride for today. I didn't completely take the day off because I ended up playing volleyball for 2 hours.

So I just got back from a 24mile ride. It was kind of a killer on my way out because the wind was in my face. My legs were burning only after like 5 miles, so I had to switch to a lower gear. It felt like it took FOREVER to get to the turn around point, but on the way back it was smooth sailing.

Tomorrow I'm headed up to Put-In-Bay for my last volleyball tournament in a long time. I'm hoping to get into a league in Boston, but I'm afraid that I won't have much time for that. We will see. Then after the race (a week from this Sunday), I will be frantically packing and getting rid a lot of my stuff because I'm moving into my new place on September 2, with a quick stop in Rochester!

Also, Wright State has decided to close it's pool until September 8, so it looks like I will have to do my last week of swim training at LA Fitness and/or at Ceasar's Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment