Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spring Training in Colorado!


Sure, I was upset that my flight to Denver was delayed 24 hours. But what really made me upset was that I wasted an entire day in the airport on Sunday, when I could have been training in Boulder. Boo for bad weather, but I made it to my destination in one peice so I have to be thankful for that.

I arrived on Sunday night to Denver, and Dan (my bro) picked me up from the airport. We didn't end up getting back to his place in Boulder until 3am (which is 5am EST), and I ended up sleeping in until 1030. After eating a nice healthy breakfast (egg white omellete with mushrooms and green peppers), and waiting 30 minutes, we went to the pool for a swim workout.

I'm not exactly how far I swam. But I did a few drills and jumped around a little for about 40 minutes. Then after we swam (and consumed a protein shake and peanut butter sandwich), we hopped on our bikes and headed into town. We ended up biking about 10 miles total. While in town, we stopped at a really cute sandwich shop for lunch (veggie burger).

Dinner was mexican food, which I ate wayyyyyy too much of, but it was sooooo good. Tacos with salsa and fresh homemade guacamole, and of course 2 Coronas to establish complete authenticity. Then we just relaxed for the rest of the night.

This morning after breakfast (power oatmeal), we headed to the gym for an upper body workout. I worked on chest and back while doing a circuit I found in Oxygen magazine. Then I did one super set of an ab workout (also from Oxygen magazine).

Lunch was a protein shake, peanut butter & jelly sandwich, chips w/guacamole, and some cashews. After lunch we headed to NOAA's Earth System's Research Lab, which was AMAZING and allowed me to learn about my field from a different perspective (Check out: http://sos.noaa.gov/). Then we headed over to Eldiablo Springs for a 4 mile hike -- also AMAZING. The air out here is so clean and fresh, and the sun is so bright. The scenery is also just unreal, and cannot be captured by cameras. There was snow melting on the trail, yet I was wearing a tanktop. I did feel the effects of the altitude for the first hour or so of the hike, but then didn't really notice it after that.

We just finished eating our dinner (pasta & marina sauce with left over turkey from last night's tacos, and sweet potato fries). Now we are just sitting here relazing and digesting. Heading into town in a few minutes so I can get my shopping fix, and check out some of the local microbreweries. Tomorrow we are heading to Denver for a workout at Red Rocks (look for us on the webcam: http://www.redrocksfitness.com/). I'm SUPER pumped, and hope that the altitude doesn't hinder my ability to train hard.

Hope it goes well, and can't wait to write all about it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment